who's that girl

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Best Laid Plans


I'm studying.
Well. Kind of. 
I am enrolled in a Masters. But I tend to go in fits and starts. Like doing a bit and then taking a semester off and then maniacally undertaking two subjects at once during a busy term at work. That's this term's undertaking. 
I download the readings. I draft beautiful study schedules outlining what I have to do each week. I order the texts and whoop when they arrive. 
But the 'doing' of it does not come as easily as the 'planning to do' it.
I'm not sure why.
I went to university when I had three small children. The Man was working crazy shift hours a fair distance from home. I went to uni every day. I came home. I read, did assignments, prepared presentations into the small hours. I helped teach my own kids how to read, do assignments and prepare presentations too. But it was a juggle. I was usually late for netball/football practice and piano/guitar/violin lessons. There were constant washing crises. I lost friendships. I was stressed and often on edge. But I did it.
So now, when it should come easily, I struggle to settle to it. I do all the self talk, like: You are really interested in thinking about this topic/issue/subject (which I always am). And: This will be really useful at work (which it always is). I have grand plans of reading two hours a day. I'm good at the planning part

So now I'm off to make a cup of tea and sit in the sun and do two readings before I'm allowed another (setting myself rules and restrictions is part of the planning-to-study routine I have perfected). I'll let you know what I learn about the Gifted Child in the Mainstream Class.....
Cheers,
GND

Oh. ps. I kind of went off and made sweet little muffins. Packet mix but GF and super yum. But I did read heaps about the ICM - Integrated Curriculum Model...lots of connection to IB.


Just had to include my sweet tea towel - Cath Kidston of course


No comments:

Post a Comment