who's that girl

Thursday, January 26, 2012

New York Web

When I was in New York in 2010 with The Sensible Girl, we stopped by The City Quilter and I picked up a couple of their City Strippers (kind of like Jelly Rolls but not necessarily all from one range, so they're individual and quirky). One of the packs I got contained a lot of Moda Botany by Lauren and Jessi Jung. So I sewed them together in pleasing triple strips.........cut them with a 60 degree ruler (an equilateral triangle) ....
 

Joined 'em into cute little half hexies....alternating the orientation of the triangles so I got this cute alternating centres and outside strips but consistent middle strips.
(for those playing at home, each 42 inch strip set yielded 11 triangles....not exactly what I planned but it means I have heaps of triangles left over for another quilt which is already forming in my mind!)

I tried them in this combination, going for a scrappy, somewhat random spiderweb effect, but I just felt the pretty fabrics and patterns were lost and because I had alternated the direction of the triangles in the hexies, the hexies themselves were even a bit lost. So......


I set them with white triangles using white fabric I had bought to go with the City Stripper in NYC right back at the start. Lovely Sister Susan solved the problem of how to finish off the gappy top and bottom by using a third of a hexie (a diamond...patchwork is all about maths!). Lovely yellow border and now it just goes away until Term 1 ends and I can face quilting it!

Love it, but!

No comments:

Post a Comment